How to Report a Violation

How To Report a Violation

You can make the Pahrump Regional Planning District (PRPD) a better place to live, learn, work, and play by following these steps to resolve code violations in your neighborhood:

  • File a complaint.

    If you believe that there is a violation in your neighborhood or near your business, you may file a complaint with Code Compliance by creating an online account HERE and choosing the Request of Code Compliance. 

  • For Air Quality Complaints please use this link HERE or visit the Air Quality Page.

  • Please provide specific and detailed information, including the exact location address or Assessor's Parcel Number as well as a complete description of the violation. All information provided is kept confidential. The department will not accept complaints from anonymous sources.
  • Schedule an Appointment. Please call (775) 751-4249 to schedule an appointment or site visit with the Code Compliance Officer (CCO). Appointments can be scheduled during office hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

What actions should I expect from Code Compliance once an alleged violation is reported?

In most cases, the property owner where the alleged violation exists is given an opportunity to voluntarily comply and correct the situation. Code Compliance will conduct an initial inspection to determine the exact violation(s) and send a Courtesy Notice specifying the violations and what is needed to correct them. The notice also requests the property owner to contact Code Compliance to discuss the situation. The property will be inspected again in about 30 days to determine if the violation(s) were corrected. If not, a Notice of Violation (NOV) is issued with another 30 days to correct the problem. Another inspection is conducted and if not corrected, a second NOV is issued with another 30 days to comply. Once the deadline in the second NOV has expired, the owner is subject to the remedies listed below:

  • Judicial Remedies - The assistance of the District Attorney (DA) is requested when the property owner fails to voluntarily comply. The DA can file criminal charges against the property owner or request the case go before the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) to determine the outcome, depending on the specifics of each case.
  • Abatement - This remedy is used after either the court or the BOCC require the property owner to take action to abate the violation. If the property owner fails to take corrective action required by the abatement order, the Code Compliance Department hires a contractor to abate the property. The cost of the abatement will be attached to the property as a lien.
  • Cease and Desist Order - When a violation exists that requires immediate stoppage for existing or imminent health or safety reasons, a cease and desist order will be issued by the CCO. It directs the violator to stop whatever is causing the violation until it can be corrected. The violator will be given adequate time to ensure the work stoppage will not cause or increase risks to public health and safety.

What if I wish to make an anonymous complaint?

It is the policy of the Code Compliance Department to request the source of the complaint. It is also the department's policy to keep the source of the complaint confidential. There is a potential, however, that the department may be ordered to reveal this information in a judicial proceeding. This policy does not apply to animal noise cases which require the support of adjacent property owners/occupants in order to identify a public nuisance. The department will not accept complaints from anonymous sources.