I just received a ‘Notice of Violation’. What should I do?

If you have received a Code Enforcement Violation Notice, you either own or are otherwise 'in control' (i.e. live in, lease, or manage) a property that has been found to have violations of the County, or Town ordinances or other adopted codes. 

The first thing you should do is read the Notice. The Notice will tell you the address of the violation property, when the violations were observed by the Code Enforcement Officer, and what violations were present when the Code Officer made their inspection. Next, contact the Code Enforcement Officer named on the Violation Notice. Their phone number is on the notice. The Code Enforcement Officer can usually answer any question you may have about the property and the violations observed at the time of the inspection. Lastly, remediate the violations! The Code Enforcement Officer will work with you if you need time to comply the cited violations of the City Code. You may call the Code Enforcement Officer if you need a short extension, or contact the Director of Planning for requesting a longer extension. Non-compliance of the Violation Notice Failure to comply with a Code Enforcement Violation Notice is punishable by both criminal and civil penalties! 

Criminal Penalties: Violations of the adopted codes and Ordinances are Misdemeanors. These violations are punishable by fines of up to $1,000 (not including court costs) and/or up to 6 months in jail, each day the violation exist constitutes and additional fine. Civil Penalties: Any cost incurred by the county for property remediation will be levied on the respective properties as a special assessment tax and shall be added and be collected with other taxes in the assessment roll in the same manner as other county taxes and shall continue to be a lien on the property until paid.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a complaint?
2. Can I make an appointment to talk to a Code Enforcement Officer?
3. I just received a ‘Notice of Violation’. What should I do?